Despite Katie Couric’s Advice, Doctors Say Ultrasound Breast Exams May Not Be Needed

Image
usf health primary care :: Article Creator The VA Adds A Veterans Health Clinic In An East Tampa Neighborhood A new satellite clinic run by the Department of Veteran Affairs in East Tampa is open for veterans to get primary care, mental health support and other services. It's part of a growing partnership between the Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense. Officials from both agencies celebrated the Sabal Park clinic's grand opening during a ceremony on Monday. In the last year, the VA reported nearly 33,000 veterans in Florida signed up for health care. Many of them live in the Tampa Bay region, which has one of the largest veteran populations in the U.S. "It is always a challenge to have capacity meet that ever-growing demand, but it is our obligation to catch up to that demand as much as possible," Dr. Shereef Elnahal, VA Under Secretary for Health, said at the event. Stephanie Colombini / WUS

Observership Program listings for international medical graduates



floyd primary care :: Article Creator

Floyd County Primary: Incumbents Fall In Republican Commissioner, Council Races

FLOYD COUNTY — Former Floyd County Sheriff Frank Loop defeated incumbent John Schellenberger in the Republican primary for Floyd County Commissioner, District 2.

Loop won Tuesday's Republican primary with 59% of the turnout, or 3,747 votes, to Schellenberger's 41%, or 2,624 votes.

In November's general election, Loop will face Democrat Veronica Combs, who was uncontested in the primary.

The commissioner for District 2 represents Greenville and Lafayette townships.

Incumbent Dale Bagshaw advanced to the general election along with Sam Sarkisian and Matt Millies in the Republican primary for the Floyd County at-large race.

Republican incumbent Connie Moon was unseated in the at-large race.

The three Republicans will face Democrats Ellen Morrison Kelley, Daniel T. Harris and incumbent Brad Striegel in November.

Sarkisian led with 4,264 votes, or 29%, followed by Bagshaw with 3,718 votes, or 25.47% and Millies with 3,612 votes, or 24.74%.

Moon received 3,005 votes, or about 20%.

Loop said he "had a lot of great support out there."

"So the results were not surprising to me," he said. "I have a lot of good followers out there in the community that want to see change."

His goal is "to bring transparency of government" to Floyd County residents.

"We need to listen to citizens and those that are elected need to listen to the citizens instead of having their own agenda," Loop said. "It seems like those two things have gone in different directions — that where the politicians want to go and where the citizens want them to go are two different things."

Loop's goals include addressing major issues such as Floyd County facilities.

From left, Republicans Sam Sarkisian and Matt Millies talk as election results come in Tuesday evening at Pints & Union in New Albany. Both candidates advanced as they were among the top three vote receivers in the Floyd County Council GOP primary. 

Daniel SuddeathNews and Tribune

"I think the county needs to address the EMS issue right away and not wait until I take office, and the other thing is that we need to find a [new] home for the health department sooner rather than later and work on the City-County Building renovation," he said.

Schellenberger said he is "disappointed" in the results of Tuesday's election. He is in his second term as commissioner and previously served on the county council.

"But over the 18 years that I've served Floyd County, I've always put them first," he said. "I will continue to put them first until the end of my term."

His goals for the rest of his term include establishing a plan for fire-based EMS, he said.

"I want to make sure that we are on a path for fire-based EMS," Schellenberger said. "It needs to be certain so people know that they're going to have quality ambulance service."

Bagshaw said he is glad to make it through to the general election. He is seeking a third term on the council.

"I just want to thank the citizens of Floyd County for continuing to have faith in me," he said.

He said he loves being a public servant and aims to be transparent.

"If I make a decision, I want to be prepared to give you my thought process on why I made that decision," Bagshaw said. "I'm very limited on what I think local government should do, and that's public safety and infrastructure....That's always my priority."

Sarkisian said he is "very thankful and very blessed" to receive support from voters in the primary.

"I just greatly appreciate everyone's support, and I thank the good Lord for winning," he said. "I'm very happy about it."

He wants voters to know that he "takes their concerns very seriously."

"I also know people work very hard for their money and I intend for the county to spend everybody's money very wisely," Sarkisian said.

Millies said he is "very pleased" to advance, "but there is still a lot of work to be done."

"As a candidate, I want to take a deeper dive into the cash flow for the county because I really want to understand and I think that our constituents need to understand where the money's going and how we consistently run over budget year after year," he said.

EMS is also a priority for Millies.

"I believe we need to get the tools in the hands of the right people in the community, and we don't want to leave anybody out," he said. "We don't want to create a program that leaves a certain township out."

Moon said she is "totally relieved" by the election results.

"Fighting the good fight cost the election, and I'm OK with that," she said. "It's a very hard position and you take a lot of hits and holding people accountable isn't very popular in politics, and I'm OK with that because I get to go to sleep tonight and know that I did what was right."

Her main goal as she completes her term is to pursue EMS service "at an affordable rate for the entire county and not other [fire] districts paying to beef up EMS for a different district."

"It has to be fair," Moon said. "That will be my end goal."


Georgia Physician Group Joins Atrium Health Floyd

Rome, Ga.-based Harbin Clinic, a private physician group, has joined Rome, Ga.-based Atrium Health Floyd, a health system part of Charlotte, N.C.-based Advocate Health.

Governance and decision-making will be shared between the two parties through the guidance of a board that comprises Harbin Clinic physicians and legacy board members from Floyd Healthcare Management, which joined Atrium in 2021, according to an April 15 news release. 

"Harbin Clinic has always been physician-led, and that will not change," Kenna Stock, CEO of Harbin Clinic, said in the release. "Just as they always have, Harbin Clinic physicians will continue to have a voice in local healthcare decisions impacting the patients we serve."

Atrium Health Floyd comprises three hospitals, a primary care and urgent care network with multiple locations, a freestanding behavioral health facility, and over 3,829 employees across more than 40 specialties, according to its website. 


Decision 2024: Meet Floyd Griffin, Candidate For Georgia House District 149, Democratic Primary

Early voting began on April 29 and ends on May 17. Election Day will be May 21.

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Two Democratic candidates are qualified for the upcoming Georgia House District 149 election.

Floyd Griffin and Phyllis Tufts Hightower are competing to win the Democratic nomination in the upcoming primary election.

41NBC's Monica Diaz-Meek spoke with each candidate ahead of the May 21 election.

Candidate name: Floyd GriffinRunning for: Georgia House District 149Campaign Website: Facebook

MONICA- Good afternoon. Today we have Floyd Griffin, who's running for Georgia House District 149 joining us. Thank you for being here.

FLOYD- I'm super fantabulous. Glad to be with you tonight.

MONICA- I'm glad to have you here. Now, I have a few questions starting off. What do you think is the biggest issue or challenge that needs to be addressed? And how do you plan on fixing that if you are elected?

FLOYD- Well, let me let me say that my legislative experience, which I have, has led me to believe that there's not one major issue. There are a number of issues. You have to keep those balls in the air at all time. I have approximately nine priorities that I would be looking at. And the first priority is women's rights to choose and voting rights and Medicaid expansion. That is extremely important. I was reading in the AJC this morning and the headlines was over 300,000 children have been dropped from the Medicaid roll. Now, can you believe that? And in the United States and in Georgia, we have young people. We have children that cannot get the health care that they need. And another priority is this is a national priority. But all politics is local, and that's democracy. I'm going to be playing paying very close attention to that, because if democracy is moving in the direction that it's going. Now, all of my other priorities will be all involved. So I'm going to keep those glass balls juggling at different height when I get when I get in the legislature. And the old saying is that don't drop a glass ball.

MONICA- Alright. Now, how is your background and experience prepare you for this role?FLOYD- Well, I have extensive experience in my background. I'm a retired Vietnam veteran, served in the military for 23 years, commanded units, worked at the Pentagon and retired after 23 years. I moved back to my hometown, Milledgeville, to a family business funeral service business where my sister and I eventually became co-owners. I was the first African-American senator out of 23 of District and the first African-American elected in a majority white, legislated rural district. And I was also the first black mayor and, oh, capital city, Milledgeville, Georgia. So and I have been involved in and serving on boards. I've served on two of three College Board of trustees. I've served on on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Center, Board of Directors and I just am a community activist also. So I've been on the move.

MONICA-  Alright. Now, lastly, what would progress look like to you if you're elected?

FLOYD- That's a very good question. What progress was look like for me is get in involved with the Democratic caucus after the election and making sure that we elect a caucus leadership that is going to represent the Democratic Party and represent Georgia. Since our representative, James Beverly was the Democratic leader and he's not running for office now. So we have to elect a new a new leader at the same time. Once I'm elected, then I need to also be involved with the district caucus here in Macon, in Milledgeville and Jones County. So that is part of the yes, that is the work that needs to be done the day after, after the election.

MONICA- Alright. Well, thank you for that. And thank you for being here.

FLOYD- I'm glad I'm glad.

Snippets from all candidates' interviews will air on 41NBC News at 6 p.M., 11 p.M., DayBreak and 41Today. All interviews will also be posted in full on 41NBC.Com on the following days:

Tuesday, May 7- Floyd GriffinWednesday, May 8- Phyllis Tufts Hightower

Follow Monica Diaz-Meek on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Pinterest

  • Linkedin






  • Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Observership Program listings for international medical graduates

    Vaccination Sites | Covid-19

    Vaccination Sites | Covid-19